Melanoma Treatment in Santa Barbara, CA
Melanoma is the most life-threatening type of skin cancer. Dr. Keith Llewellyn offers treatment for melanoma for men and women in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Solvang, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, and the surrounding areas of California.
What is Melanoma?
Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer because it is more likely to spread to other organs and tissues and can be life-threatening. Recognizing the early signs of melanoma helps you know when to consult with Dr. Llewellyn. These signs are known as the ABCDEs of melanoma.
- Asymmetry refers to a mole on the skin where one half of the mole looks different from the other half of the mole (you can check this by imagining a line going through the center of the lesion horizontally or vertically)
- The Border of a benign mole is typically smooth, whereas melanoma often has a rough, scalloped, jagged border.
- Color is the next thing to check. Melanoma is often varied in color, whereas a benign mole is typically uniform in color.
- The Diameter of a mole should be smaller than a pencil eraser — melanomas tend to be larger than a pencil eraser.
- If the mole Evolves in size, shape, elevation from the skin, color or any other characteristics, you should schedule an appointment with Dr. Llewellyn to have the mole checked.
How Much Does Treatment for Melanoma Cost?
Treatment for melanoma varies and Dr. Llewellyn may work with specialist as part of your plan of care. We can provide some cost information after the consultation. Payment can be made for our services by cash and major credit cards. You can learn more on our financing page.
What Are the Benefits of Treatment for Melanoma?
Treatment for melanoma is a life-saving procedure that can prevent the cancer from spreading and affecting your skin and other organs.
Am I a Candidate for Melanoma Treatment?
If you have any unusual moles on your skin that matches the ABCDE methodology described or if you have been diagnosed with melanoma, you should get treatment. Melanoma is a dangerous type of skin cancer that can spread very quickly.
What Should I Expect from Melanoma Treatment?
Most melanomas are caught at an early stage by Dr. Llewellyn. Often, these early stage melanomas simply need excision in an outpatient setting with appropriate margins to yield very high cure rates. No body imaging or lymph node studies are needed for these early stage melanomas. For more advanced cases, Dr Llewellyn will coordinate your care with specialists locally and sometimes with cancer centers regionally that specialize in advanced melanoma treatment.
If you have any moles that display any ABCDE features concerning for melanoma or any moles that concern you, you should be evaluated by Dr. Llewellyn for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Aloe Dermatology offers melanoma treatment for men and women in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Solvang, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, and the surrounding areas of California. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.