Medical appointments always seem like simple matters until am few days before the appointment when you start asking yourself questions. At Aloe Dermatology, we provide dermatology services for residents of Santa Barbara, Ventura, Santa Maria, Solvang, Santa Ynez, and the surrounding areas of California. Here is some appointment information that may help you prepare.
What Should I Bring to My First Appointment?
We suggest that you bring any medical records that you may have related to your skin condition, such as notes from visits with your primary physician and lab work. If you are unable to obtain this information, we can get it from your physician. You should also complete our New Patient forms to save time when you arrive at our office.
Visit our New Patients page to find and print out your forms.
How Can I Prepare for My First Appointment?
We recommend that first-time patients spend some time before their first appointment writing down questions they may have about their skin and how a dermatologist can help. Write down:
- Any changes to your skin overall
- Any growths or lesions that you have found, including changes to those growths or lesions
- Any discomfort that you are experiencing, such as tender areas of your feet or hands
- Ways in which you feel embarrassed about your skin, such as wrinkles, warts, rashes, or pigmentation problems
- How you care for your skin daily
- Any treatments, including cosmetic treatments, that you had in the last year
- Any family history of skin cancer and other skin conditions
- List of medications and supplements that you are currently taking—including the name, dose and frequency
- List of medical conditions that you have or had in the last two years
How Do I Prepare for My Dermatology Treatments?
Each dermatology treatment requires some preparation. Dr. Llewellyn explains how to prepare during the consultation. Some steps that you may need to take are:
- Stop using certain medications
- Avoid sunlight
- Do not use makeup or skin care products in the days or hours before your appointment
- Have someone available to drive you home
Will I Receive Treatment During My Appointment?
In many cases, patients do decide to have their treatments during their examination appointments. To the extent possible with our scheduling, this is an option. You may need to schedule an appointment for your treatment if Dr. Llewellyn needs you to take specific steps to prepare for the procedure.
Can I Bring Someone with Me for the Appointment?
The field of dermatology and related treatments can be confusing for some patients. You may feel more comfortable having someone with you to better understand your condition and treatments. This individual can also help to ask questions about your skin condition to give you a more comprehensive understanding and make informed decisions about your care. For some of our treatments, you may not feel like driving yourself home, so having someone with you is beneficial.
Our appointment information gives you an overall understanding of how to prepare for your appointments and treatments, but we are always available to help in any way possible. Contact us today with your questions or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Keith Llewellyn.